I think this is the first year I didn’t sit in tears with worry anticipating my birthday. I guess I use to measure my birthday as the day to evaluate my success, my achievements, and where I should be.
I had a different vision in my head years ago of where I would be at 40- I wanted normal. And I gave it an honest try, I really did. I pictured celebrating my milestone in Paris with my love but the universe didn’t agree. I don’t feel like I am missing out, or I failed, or at all disappointed which is usually my go to. Something happened a few months ago, I was so unhappy and blind trying to fit the mold I thought I was suppose to fit into when really UGH!
Today I am living my best life. I said “Im done” and the roof didn’t cave in, I took the leap, I jumped, I had no cares left. And nothing to lose. And wow what freedom! I am 40 and not ANYWHERE where I thought I’d be, or where I thought you’re suppose to be but I am happy.
I now live a simple, uncomplicated life blowing glass, running a business with my best friend, going to concerts with my parents, training dogs, studying so many things and learning. I sleep well. I learned to meditate. I read. I make a point to surround myself with genuine and kind people.
So hey, I am Toni and I just met myself a few months ago. I am 40. I wear blundstones and ugly sweaters, I read tarot cards and burn sage. I am a glass blower. I feel so much pride, so much love, so much good energy from the people who follow and support TideLine that sometimes it’s almost overwhelming! So yea, I am a glass blower. I have the most amazing family with nothing but support and love any girl could ask for. I have the most amazing supportive group of friends that accept me, laugh with me, and encourage me. I love dogs and one cat.
So my goals for this year? To continue. To say yes, to experience more. And really to only do what feels right with no guilt. I wish I met this girl sooner –
I hope you noticed! So TideLine.Org has been getting a lot of my undivided attention due to my lack of procrastination in completing a Geology Course, the avoidance of housecleaning, the pieces of cold working that require water and a cold shop… So yea! #TideLine.Org is and will be getting a facelift. 2019 was incredible but 2020 I anticipate to be even more amazing! Have you heard of YouTube? What an amazing resource – like seriously I have discovered some pretty cool people, some odd individuals and some great learnings when it comes to the online world when you own and want to promote your business.
You’re all like “well yea, Toni!” but no seriously – So I have been implementing my learnings and let me just say YES! Our Instagram account has grown, our Online sales have grown and our FaceBook Page is heck of engaged! So to you – a huge THANK YOU! And to me well I am pretty proud.
So against Mothers will, I put our faces out there, it’s time people see the people behind the glass. So no more hiding, I pledge to you more action shots, more insight into us and what makes us well us. (Right after my Keto diet starts kicking in…)
So here is my goal for #TideLine.Org over the next few months:
- Grow TideLines Facebook Fan Page to 5000 Likes. What does this mean? Grows our fanbase and allows more great people to see what we are up to.
- Grow Instagram Account to 5000 Likes. Why? Because we make some pretty cool things and people should see them and like them. Many things have come to us from Instagram like Networking with other business owners and being active in the arts community.
- Achieve steady online sales on Etsy. So we will have to maintain our 5 Star review and keep it updated!
- Engage the Fans – plan some interesting blog posts (it’s not as easy as I feel it should be), post interesting photos & videos, more CONTESTS!
- And as usual – come up with something #NEW & #Unique!
So TLG had a fantastic year – amazing actually and choosing the best 10 has posed difficulty but here goes!
- Sandcasting! If you know me – it will always be sand casting as my top pick. I love sand casting! I love the impressions, the detail the glass picks up, the heat, the smell, and the finished pieces. I love explaining to people what it is when they pick up a “beach memory” or hold in their hand a barnacle. It’s such a unique process that requires some planning, imagination and resilience.
- Amethyst! Healing crystals, blown glass, tumblers. All that brought challenges, creative juices, sketches, experimenting and the result was success. I enjoyed researching the crystals and combining two loves. This was a collaborative between Vicki & I – and well it was a lot of fun.
- Tumblers! I had to learn to make cups again, self punties- I can guarantee you I did a lot of swearing and then a lot of celebrating when I finally was able to make a simple cup again! If you bought some of the tumblers this year – make sure you use them! No sitting in the cupboard waiting for a special occasion because every day is a special occasion!
- Recognition. It was such an honour to be recognized in the Compass Magazine which not only boosted the ol’self esteem but man was it cool reading some of the emails, meeting new people and doing some custom orders! So thank you!
- Experimentation. This year I was able to take a moment in the hotshop and try out some new things, I mustered up some courage and some strength to try some new things out and even encouraged my Mom and baby brother into the hotshop to help. Made for a fun year in the hotshop!
- Silver Jewellery. Vicki and I took a course on jewellery making – I can tell you Vicki excelled. She finally had to tell me “no, put that back” when I’d add another stacker ring to my finger. Her spinner rings were a success – and I can tell you she is off to her advance jewellery course in the New Year… stay tuned!
- The Christmas Gift tour was our first time opening our studio space up to the public and well can we just say we can’t wait for next year?! It was awesome. Beyond awesome! We teamed up with some friends and invited the town to see what we had been up to. So thank you CAMPBELL RIVER and COURTENAY!
- TideLine.Org is on ETSY! And branching out onto the World Wide Web has been rewarding – thank you to Vicki for her time that she puts into this site and to Dakota for the photography… time consuming but totally worth it!
- We were able to raise $100 to the Loggers fundraisers! So thank you to all that bid on this beautiful Jelly Fish. It meant a lot to Vicki and I to give back. We were also able to host a few give aways – we got our name for the new Tumbler design “Eb & Flow” as well as a Tidal Ball! So thank you to all that supported us on our FaceBook Page!
- And number 10 is the new TLG – A local artist Terri Wells sketched and designed this beautiful glass blower. Vicki and I know what we want for TLG for 2020 and can we just say it encompasses the same feel this picture portrays – strength, elegance, tradition to name a few!
An adjective to describe a fear of being attacked or harmed either emotionally or physically – Vulnerable. As an artist I feel vulnerable all of the time, what I make is personal, how I made it I hold personal. I am not the best glass blower out there, I don’t know who the best is – it’s a tough measurement to grasp but I know that I am by far not the best but I am also not the worst. They say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be an expert. You would think after TLG began back in 2005 that I would get use to showing my work out there and feel the confidence of a professional – but can I just be honest here? I do the “happy dance” in my head and sometimes when you’re not looking when someone buys my cup, or a tidal ball. I feel absolute gratitude, validated, and accomplished when someone falls in love with the Jelly Fish. I truly do.
I wanted to share with you all that this past year, or years have been amazing! I love how everyone has been so encouraging- I read your messages, your comments, your reviews and I cherish you all.
And I know it goes the same for Vicki, she is always surprised almost when someone chooses her drift line, shocked that they see what she sees. And I always laugh because I think of course they love it! Its unique and original. Vicki gets the biggest grin on her face when she hears the etsy order ding on her iPad – like seriously big toothy grin. And it doesn’t matter if it was $5 or $25 or the fact that she has been doing etsy sales for years…. it never gets old.
Vicki and I have been talking a lot about TLG and where we want to venture next with it and in that we talked about the branding. The look. We have always been Yellow & Purple – do you know why? Because it’s our birthstone colors and happen to be opposite colors on the wheel… and we are two very different gals so the colors felt fitting. But we are also two very powerful gals so with the help of a friend and local artist here in CAMPBELL RIVER; Terri Wells we have a new logo we will be working with!
We are absolutely in love with this logo that Vicki is getting it tattooed on her neck, lol I kid but if she was the type I think thats where she would get it. Stay tuned!
Good Morning Monday!
Can I just say yesterday was such a great day! Not only because I got to blow some glass and stay warm in this wintery weather but I met some pretty cool people. It’s orb season so I am getting the opportunity to meet with new people, although their circumstances aren’t the best it’s been really nice hearing their stories, experiences, and sharing some laughs and even some tears. Everyone that I have invited into my shop has been so interested in my love of hot glass – the questions, the conversations just warms my heart.
And what was pretty special too was seeing the familiar faces, laughing and reminiscing over ugly pieces I have made – but at the time I thought they were master pieces. Thank you for your never-ending support! What will I think of my Tumblers I did yesterday 10 yrs from now?!?!
And while I am on this gratitude trip – Facebook. My goodness is that an amazing tool. Everyday I continue to learn about social media and the power it holds – the people it introduces me too. It is just really cool and TLG is pretty thankful! My goal right now is to get the TideLine Fan Page up to 5000 likes by the New Year. Can we do it? There is a free draw on there for a Tidal Ball thats racking up the “Likes” right now – so I don’t think its that far of a stretch!
How can you help? Invite your friends to like, comment on a post so your newsfeed shows it, and if you have experienced Vicki & I’s services/art then write us up a friendly review! We really do appreciate you all! ❤️
Hey its December 1 today. December – the last month of 2019. What a whirlwind. I love December mostly because it involves a lot of chocolate and cookies. Why do we only bake in December?
So being its December 1 – you have 24 days to get those thoughtful gifts for the people you care about or feel obligated – I kid. Kind of.
Maybe I can help? TLG has some classic Tidal Balls with the cute lil story that can hang inside or out. JELLY FISH! Everyone loves the Jelly Fish – there is still a handful of those left. Some beautiful silver jewellery made by Vicki. We have gifts from $5. and up that are thoughtful, unique, and locally made!
It’s Give away time – super easy to be entered into the draw all you have to do is LIKE the Tideline.Org Fan Page on the FaceBook. Comment & Tag a friend on the video of the Tidal Ball post. Share the Video to your page! That’s it, that simple, that easy. When will you get the message you won? December 15!
Shop local, make a difference in a small business life. We work hard.
Grab that hot drink, walk the Shoppers Row, admire the decorations and let the Wintery Christmas Spirit in… Merry December 1. Love you all!